Monday, February 9, 2009

Gjelina

So, this is a post that really should have happened a month a half ago. I'm trying to be better about this, I swear. Anyhoo, I was meaning to do this this weekend, and didn't, and was talking to a friend about this place - so I figure, that's my motivation. It's kismet. (Kind of like me ending up at the WeHo Target and getting a WiiFit today... Squeeee!)

In late December, my BFF came down for New Year's. We planned half a week's worth of good times - most of them revolving around eating or drinking. Based on the recommendation of my ex/Dre's current co-worker, for our "nice meal" of that week during BFF's visit: Andrea, BFF, BFF's future husband, and I ended up at Gjelina in Venice.


I'm just gonna say Yum. And it wasn't too overly priced for a "nice" meal. We all came out spending less than $100 and were really f*cking full by the end of it. It's been awhile, so I can't remember quite everything we had (which really just means I need to go back soon.) There was oysters, mussels, fried egg (over asparagus?... was that it?), truffle pizza, flank steak, two bottles of wine with *gold foil* (you know it's special then!), and probably a few more dishes I was too busy stuffing my face with to take pictures. Then there comes dessert. We really didn't need it, but that's never stopped us. I forget what exactly it was.. like butterscotch creme brulee? See that tasty little looking thing in the coffee cup in the third picture down there? To. Die. For. I'm pretty sure we had to stop ourselves from looking totally crass and licking the cup, but we probably all wanted to. Mix it with the flourless chocolate cake, and I was pretty happy girl.


It was super cute, and I highly recommend it (for anyone who's asking.) It's definitely got that Venice/Abbot Kinney vibe, and we sat outside in the back patio (yay Southern California). We also sat next to this raging fire place that roasted my arm until I made BFF Future Husband switch. hehe :) There's also really cute couchey/comfy dining areas that would be really fun for a nice grown up birthday dinner, or just hanging out and chilling. It's open air in the back with snazzy architecture and decor throughout. Which makes it cool, modern, hip, comfy, cozy and intimate all at the same time. I started reading some reviews, and as always, they can be kind of mixed. But I was never one for listening to reviews by strangers anyways so - If you can't tell by now, we all had a really great time. Thumbs up, Gjelina.

1 comment: